The student/mentors in our two 'Students Build a Neighbourhood' projects in Netanya celebrated the end of their successful year with a BBQ and evening of relaxation after their hard work throught the year. During this year the students, who mentor 3-4 children each, have really connected with the kids and their families.
Students Build a Community project has two main tracks:
1. To create and establish new foundations in distressed communities based on the education of their children.
2. To assist motivated university students to complete their studies by providing living accommodation and to enrich their lives through community service.
- Students actually live in the neighbourhood – in return for free accommodation they must give 6 hours per week to assist 4 local children with their academic and social skills.
- The children come to the students in their apartments and see how the students live and work.
- Students become role models for the children, showing them by example that they too can achieve their dreams.
- Students also help within the families and in the neighbourhood in general.
- In addition, the students give a further 8 hours per month organising joint social activities for the children.
- After one full year working on the project each student is given the chance to receive an extra scholarship from ESRA to help towards studying and living expenses for the next year. In return they must provide an additional 3 hours of services per week to the community.
Hefzibah, Netanya – 9th year of project: 12 students live in 5 apartments in the neighborhood. 48 children from 3rd - 6th grades, get a minimum of 6 hours of help every week.
Kiryat Nordau, Netanya – 5th year of project: 9 students live in 3 apartments in the neighbourhood, each mentoring 4 children from the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grades for 6 hours a week (36 children in total).
Sela, Netanya – 2nd year of project : 9 students live in 4 apartments in the neighbourhood each mentoring 4 children in the 3rd-6th grades for 6 hours a week for 6 hours a week (36 children in total).
Neot Shaked, Netanya – Project started in September 2015: 8 students live in 3 apartments in the neighbourhood, each mentoring 4 children from the neighbourhood for a total of 6 hours a week (32 children in total)
Each year these projects enrich the lives of 38 students and over 150 children from these distressed communities.
- The Netanya Municipality.
- Netanya Education Department
- The Community Centers of Hefzibah, Neot Ganim, Kiryat Nordau, Neot Herzl and Neot Shaked
ESRA also gives individual scholarships to the students for extra involvement in the communities.
ESRA is a full partner with the Netanya Municipality for all projects and is their preferred partner for future planned similar projects.
ESRA has provided 8 scholarships to students in 2014-5 – through donations from individual donors.
ESRA pays for and organises Bat Mitzvah celebrations and other community activities during the year.
The photo on the right shows representatives of ESRA Tel Aviv Branch at the bursary award ceremony in December 2014
- Rental of apartments for the students
- A professional coordinator for each project
- Scholarships for the students.
- Special activities during the year.
Your donation will enrich the lives of all of the families in these areas and as a result the whole of each community will benefit. Click here to find out how to make your donation.
An ESRA scholarship for a student means involvement with more children at-risk, helping them on the path to achievement!
Your contribution will enrich the lives of the families in these neighborhoods, thereby benefiting the whole community.